WellSpan Health Services
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Unit Secretary - Lebanon - 2 East Medical/Surgical Unit - Part Time (40 Hours Biweekly) - Day/Evening Shift
at WellSpan Health Services
Under direct supervision, acts as a receptionist for visitors and serves as a central contact for telephone calls and a distribution point for paper and electronic communication, laboratory and test results. Interacts daily with visitors, patients, physicians and staff and displays a positive, helpful attitude. Demonstrates ability to accurately transcribe physician orders and creates and maintains the medical record. Schedules patient care services. Is responsible for electronic data entry and retrieval. Is a key member of the care delivery team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greets, directs and assists physicians, visitors, patients and ancillary department staff. Orients patients to their rooms as appropriate.
- Answers telephone using personable etiquette. Answers inquiries by providing accurate information or forwarding callers to appropriate resource. Responds to intercom and email. Identifies emergency messages, directs information to the appropriate personnel. Maintains confidentiality.
- Enters and/or retrieves data from established computer files using knowledge of various computer applications designed for functions such as patient management, patient census, acuity, composer, bed tracking, transport, etc..
- Serves as a knowledgeable resource for multiple applications such as, Patient Management and PowerChart. Keeps current with system/application upgrades. Offers/provides assistance to others in navigating IS applications.
- Performs a variety of duties related to the creation and maintenance of the patient medical record in a manner which expedites patient admission, transfer and discharge. Assembles and copies charts and forms, ensuring charts contain necessary forms. Ensures all medical records have signed orders and an H & P. Places transcribed orders on the chart. Monitors and flags missing items daily. Performs data entry, chart preparation, filing and photocopying in accordance with appropriate policies.
- Transcribes orders and documents on the paper or electronic record. Places pharmacy orders on the MAR. Follows up on orders and checks on open orders. Ensures verbal orders are signed according to Hospital policy.
- Consults with appropriate clinical/nonclinical personnel to resolve issues, concerns from patients’ medical record, ancillary department results, patient/family inquiries, etc..
- Schedules tests, procedures and other patient services. Confers with clinical care provider regarding sequencing of tests, patient activity tolerance and special needs, as appropriate.
- Communicates changes in the patient’s condition and other urgent information to the Registered Nurse in a timely manner. Reports actual and potential problems concerning patients, families, staff and appropriate departments to the team members and the charge nurse/nurse manager.
- Communicates delay/difficulties in providing services or alteration of routine. Acknowledges and responds to patient alarms and notifies appropriate care provider as needed.
- Orders and stocks supplies on an ongoing basis.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Completion of course for secretaries and medical terminology (preferred)
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skill sets
- Proficient computer skills and ability to use various software applications (Microsoft Office)
- Excellent customer service skills
- EPIC experience strongly desired
- 3 - 6 Months