Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior International Tax Analyst
at Vanderbilt University
Senior International Tax Analyst - (1902340)
The Senior International Tax Analyst within University Payroll is responsible for complex & non-complex administrative duties relating to the taxation of payments to foreign nationals (employees, visitors, etc.). The Senior Analyst performs professional work requiring the complex application and use of concepts, theories, practices, and terminology related to international tax. Processes various financial documents and evaluates submitted forms to ensure compliance with government regulations. Analyzes data and prepares internal reports consistent with a firm understanding of the institutional mission and vision, and the role and goals of the business unit. The Senior Analyst provides guidance to the International Tax Analyst and consults with the Director of Payroll to resolve problems and create appropriate internal protocols to ensure compliance with US tax regulations (IRS) as they pertain to international persons.
Duties and Responsibilities
Payroll and Tax System Responsibilities
- Facilitates the preparation for the international payrolls (monthly, biweekly, and stipend) for the University
- Maintains accurate faculty, staff, and student payroll data in the international tax system to ensure consistency of information between the tax system and the payroll system
- Manages the generation of reports on a weekly, quarterly and annual basis to ensure accuracy of international tax database, visa status, and tax status information. Oversees the collection of documentation and information to ensure that international tax files and database are accurate
- Ensures that payroll system is properly updated to maintain consistency with the international tax database
- Consults with Director and the HR Information Systems team on a regular basis regarding customization and integrity of data reporting from the payroll system
- Facilitates coordination of the payroll aspects of taxation and payment of non-resident foreign national employees, as well as non-employees compensated through the payroll system
- Attempts to minimize and resolve employee pay-related issues when necessary, including missing payments, and over-taxation
State, Federal and Foreign Tax Compliance
- Responsible for timely and accurate production of 1042S Forms and related year-end tax reporting issues.
- Ensures that fiscal, calendar-year and quarterly tax and reporting are submitted to Director timely and accurately
- Ensures payroll compliance with applicable federal tax laws relating to the payment of foreign nationals. This includes federal tax, imputed earnings, and FICA tax withholding
- Serves as a primary content expert for foreign national payment matters. Answers e-mail, mail and telephone queries on complex international tax matters; consults with the Director as necessary
Supports Payroll Systems and Processes
- Has experience and functional expertise utilizing technical systems such as Oracle Cloud, Terra Dotta, GLACIER, and GLACIER Tax Preparation, etc.
- Collaborates effectively with colleagues across other organizational units (e.g., benefits, accounting, finance, international student and scholar services, student financial aid, payment services, and academic departments) to ensure compliance and minimize risk
- Updates website content with relevant information as needed
Supports Payment Services and Student Accounts
- Manages the approval and reports taxation of all payments and reimbursements outside of Payroll made to international visitors, collaborators, royalty recipients, and vendors outside the U.S.
- Manages the approval and reports taxation of all travel reimbursements made to international student recruits
- Manages the reconciliation and reporting of university-funded taxable travel
- Manages the approval and reports taxation of all non-qualified student scholarship made outside of the payroll system
Conducts Seminars and Workshops
- Presents relevant workshops on international tax matters, attends meetings and serves on committees to provide guidance on international tax matters
- Conducts annual tax preparation workshops for international student and scholar population
Provides Superior Customer Service
- Ensures that customer inquiries are handled timely and appropriately
- Acts as the institution's primary foreign national tax subject matter expert and provides guidance and direction to stakeholders, guiding them in understanding, troubleshooting, researching, and resolving complex customer issues, answering questions and other inquiries
- Regularly engages campus schools and divisions, as well as other HR units, to define user needs to align processes and deliver excellent services
Professional, Managerial, and Leadership Skills
- Effectively oversees the international tax area including the supervision of an International Tax Analyst responsible for payroll taxation matters related to the payment of foreign national students, scholars, and employees.
- Intrinsic integrity and excellent professional judgment. Unquestioned discretion with highly confidential information.
- Holds themselves and others accountable; gets the job done; accepts responsibility; addresses problems rather than allowing unresolved issues to fester; models willingness to contribute above and beyond the call of duty
- Effectively listens to input, troubleshoots, and makes timely, thoughtful decisions; envisions and implements creative solutions to unique and complex challenges; doesn't create more problems than they solve.
- Establishes and maintains a high-functioning team focused on important outcomes. Envisions organizational success and communicates clear goals and objectives. Provides appropriate positive and constructive feedback; shares knowledge and develops employees; deploys coaching strategies; celebrates publicly, critiques privately.
- Demonstrates the ability to create a positive work climate, establishing a feeling of partnership and empowering others.
- Builds and sustains strong working relationships across organizational divisions and with diverse constituents; conducts oneself in ways that are appropriate and respectful of the diverse cultures that make up the Vanderbilt community.
- Exhibits humor, humility, and empathy.
Profile of an Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor's degree and five years of experience or the equivalent is necessary
- Experience with 1042-S's, IRS 1042 filing, and payment requirements are necessary
- Knowledge of IRS regulations and laws regarding international taxation
- Ability to analyze information and recommend appropriate action for nonresident tax issues
- Possesses the ability to work with diverse groups of people, and clearly communicate tax information is necessary
- Possesses the ability to manage time, prioritize multiple tasks, and work effectively and accurately under tight deadlines is necessary
- Experience working in a higher education environment is preferred
- Experience with Glacier and/or International Tax Navigator is preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Possesses the ability to exercise good judgment in the handling of confidential information
Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Vanderbilt University is committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff, and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our campus values.
Please apply online at https://vanderuniv.taleo.net/careersection/.vu_cs/jobdetail.ftl?job=1902340
Vanderbilt University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.