Murfreesboro City Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Part Time School Custodian(s)
at Murfreesboro City Schools
Murfreesboro City Schools
JOB TITLE: PART TIME SCHOOL CUSTODIAN
DEFINITION: The position of School Custodian requires an individual who must be punctual and dependable; of good moral character; well groomed; courteous; confidential and demonstrate efficient work habits. The person must be able to follow verbal and written directions; relate well to children and adults; and demonstrate a positive attitude toward work. Custodial experience may be helpful but not required. The person in this position maintains the school building and keeps the grounds clean. Employees in this job work 5 days a week, but must be able to work occasional unusual hours in crisis situations. Custodians are classified as Non-Exempt full or part-time and must have the ability to perform job duties for entire work day. The custodian reports to the School Principal and must be able to follow their direction services in accordance with assigned daily duties. The employee is subject to a post offer physical examination with a written statement from the physical showing a satisfactory health record and stating the employee is free of any contagious or communicable disease in such form as might endanger the health of school, children, as well as results of a TB skin test. All employees hired after January 1, 2000 are required (post offer and prior to commencement of the employee duties) to supply fingerprint samples which are submitted to a criminal history records check conducted by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. All hiring decisions are contingent upon satisfactory criminal background check results.
- Work involves medium to heavy lifting of boxes, reaching, pushing, pulling, carrying, stooping, kneeling, ladder climbing, maneuvering in confined spaces and prolonged standing and walking; work involves exposure to extreme temperatures, chemicals and odors commonly associated with cleaning and schools in general.
- Must be able to perform outside labor to include, but not limited to, yard work and maintaining upkeep of school grounds.
- Care for custodial equipment including proper use and check for maintenance and repair.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
Ensure safety and functionality of the cafeteria prior to use by the Nutrition Department by setting up tables, chairs and trash receptacles. Clean bars on each table daily and during summer schedule wheel tables outside and pressure wash to deep clean. Check cafeteria throughout the lunch period to remove trash; breaking down tables and chairs; sweeping and scrubbing floors; and cleaning walls and windows within the cafeteria.
Lock and unlock doors as instructed by the school staff. Provide safe access to building daily, including ensuring snow and ice are removed.
Must have strength and ability for operating some types of equipment such as vacuum, floor buffers, lifting and emptying trash cans, bending over to clean bathroom facilities, cleaning tables; working on a ladder for such tasks as changing light bulbs and cleaning windows.
Perform cleaning and monitor the restrooms by replacing consumable items throughout the day to ensure health and safety standards are upheld and clean assigned area. Ensure that the school is neat, clean and free from clutter and safe. Submit list of needed cleaning supplies to Supervisor/Assistant Supervisor of Custodial Services.
Make minor repairs to the building.
Report to Principal any needed major repairs and/or safety concerns.
Assist physically/sensory challenged children and/or adults as needed and/or requested.
Must have sufficient strength and ability to independently and repeatedly lift, move and carry objects weighing up to 50-75 pounds.
Must be able to maintain prolonged standing/walking as shift allows.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must possess physical body, dexterity and coordination to achieve angles and positions required to perform various lifting
- Must be able to distinguish between different chemical materials with ability to read and understand label information
- Knowledge of and/or ability to learn occasional hazards and safety precautions
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, children, and general public
- Ability to understand and carry out verbal and written instruction
- Ability to report to work as scheduled and notifies appropriate individuals if unable to work.
- Employee’s in this position will be exposed to trash and perhaps bodily fluids containing blood-borne pathogens
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Part-Time: Hourly rate, no benefits. All non-exempt.
P.M. Shift Differential Pay Structure
P.M. Shift Lead Differential Pay Structure
Job Contact Information
Friday, May 1, 2015 12:00 AM
(Central Standard Time)