Meharry Medical College
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Research Assistant Sr.
at Meharry Medical College
This position works under occasional supervision. Assignments are at the specialized scientific research level requiring independent judgment. Assist in publishing articles and papers; supervises and trains lower level classifications, assigned lab technicians, and students. Sets up and operates complex scientific apparatus.
• Performs independent research and assists with other research projects. Plans, designs, and implements re s each projects
• Prepares and maintains culture media, reagents, and experimental animals; grows cultures (cells, viruses, etc.)
• Performs library research; prepares compounds; interprets experimental test data; cuts, stains and mounts specimens
• Compiles, processes and analyzes data
• Documents research procedures and results according to department guidelines
• Develops reports from research data gathered; maintains reports and records; codes data for electronic data processing; inputs and retrieves data via computer; analyzes, interprets and verifies data
• Conducts research in particular field of knowledge and assists with publishing data in professional journals
• Write reviews and edits various materials for publication. Researches articles from various sources
• Set up and operates various scientific apparatus; centrifuge, spectrometer, microscopes, homogenizers, etc.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Possess comprehensive knowledge of research laboratory operating policies procedures and scientific methodology, including ability to operate and maintain research tools, instruments and equipment
• Thorough knowledge of the use and preparation of culture media, chemicals, reagents, and the ability to perform a variety of laboratory procedures
• Demonstrated ability to express ideas clearly and concisely orally and in writing including ability to analyze and extract data from conversation and documents for research projects
• Ability to independently conduct research following established department guidelines
• Strong supervisory skills and ability to effectively train and evaluate personnel on laboratory research methods and procedures
• Strong interpersonal skills necessary to develop and maintain effective working relationships internally and externally
• Ability to operate PC software and other office technology
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in a pertinent field of study, with a minimum of two (2) years relevant experience preferred. One year laboratory research support staff supervision preferred.