Meharry Medical College
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Meharry Medical College
The Nurse Practitioner (NP) will work in the Gastroenterology Clinic within the Department of Internal Medicine. The NP will develop their own patient panel with stable follow-up patients and will provide care for acute office visits. The NP will have inpatient consult responsibilities. The NP will also take home calls on nights and weekends as needed, with weekend rounds on a case by case basis.
• Demonstrate clinical expertise in assessment, diagnostic reasoning, and the therapeutic management of patients with Gastrointestinal and liver diseases.
• Provide care to patients daily in the clinic and in the hospital and manage disease and side effects of the patient’s therapies.
• Assist in therapeutic decision making; as well as, work with patients on the day to day management of a gastrointestinal or liver diagnosis.
• Assist Gastroenterologists with placement of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy tube placements
• Perform bedside replacements of gastrostomy tubes and assist gastroenterologists with endoscopic procedures as needed.
• Consult with supervising physician as needed on questions regarding diagnoses, additional testing/procedures to request, and on therapeutic decision making.
• Supervise quality management and performance improvement and assist in data management and program’s reports.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Ability to manage patients with Gastrointestinal and liver disorders.
• Actively participate in Quality Management and Performance Improvement Programs.
• Knowledge of examination, diagnostic, and treatment room procedures.
• Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care.
• Knowledge of OSHA, Infection Control, and safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe working environment.
• Knowledge of electronic chart documentation requirements and recording test results.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks independently.
• Ability to work with multiple agencies and a multidisciplinary team.
• Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with vulnerable and complex patients, diverse medical staff, and the public.
• Ability to maintain quality control standards.
• Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures.
• Ability to operate computer and multi-function printer, general office equipment, and telephone equipment.
• Core Competencies: Patient Assessment, Clinical Procedure with Scope of Service.
• Knowledge of commonly used computer software and excellent communication skills are required.
• Graduate of an accredited school of nursing, graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner Program.
• Current Advance Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) Licensure for the State of Tennessee.
• Current provider in Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS).
• Must be a registered nurse in the State of Tennessee and be board certified/board eligible to practice as a Certified Nurse.
• Eligible for a certificate of fitness to prescribe medication in the State of Tennessee, if applicable.
• The NP must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate for patients with Gastrointestinal and liver diseases.
• Three or more years of experience in caring for patients with gastrointestinal and liver diseases is preferred.