Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Commercial GL Accountant
The General Ledger (GL) Accountant works under the direction of a General Ledger Accounting Supervisor or Manager to perform general accounting work for an assigned portfolio of properties. During the monthly closeout process, the role prepares journal entries to post to the general ledger, financial statements and other reports for each property. The GL Accountant ensures completeness and accuracy of financial statements and related accounting activities. The successful candidate will embody and work to reinforce MAA’s Core Values. Those values include:
- Appreciating the uniqueness of each individual
- Communicating openly and with integrity
- Embracing opportunities
- Doing the right thing at the right time for the right reasons
Duties and Responsibilities
- Applies knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) to the preparation of journal entries for posting to the general ledger, financial statements, reconciliations, and variance analysis during monthly closeout for each property within assigned portfolio.
- Applies knowledge of the unique complexities of commercial accounts such as straight line rent amortizations, percentage rent calculations, assigning and maintaining common area expense (CAM) pools, tax and insurance reconciliations and cross-charging for mixed use portfolios.
- Reviews financial statements for accuracy and prepares all necessary accruals, amortizations and reclassifications to complete the final monthly close package to ensure compliance with GAAP standards.
- Analyzes balance sheet accounts to ensure accuracy; prepares balance sheet reconciliations with detailed explanations of account balances.
- Analyzes monthly utility expenses for completeness by making all necessary accruals/adjustments and by providing detailed variance explanations.
- Reconciles current month cash receipts; prepares cash reconciliations for each property balancing current month cash balances with supporting bank documents.
- Participates in peer review process of work products for quality assurance, including close packages, to ensure completion, accuracy, and timely release to internal and external customers.
- Reviews and responds to requests from Operations regarding various property accounting issues and implements corrective actions to resolve.
- Participates in general ledger project teams with internal peers and/or external resources.
- Assists with completing SOX testing as required by the Internal Audit Department.
- Performs other related duties as assigned to meet the needs of the business.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field required.
- Two years of professional accounting, finance or related experience required.
- Real estate or property accounting experience preferred
- Experience with Yardi investment accounting system strongly preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of GAAP, financial terms and principles, including cash and accrual accounting methods
- Knowledge of accounting practices specific to commercial operations (straight line rent amortization, percentage rent, CAM pools, CAM reconciliations and cross-charging) to perform commercial accounting for mixed use property portfolios
- Knowledge of commercial lease contract terms, conditions and concepts to perform commercial accounting for mixed use property portfolios
- Knowledge and skill to comprehend, analyze and interpret financial statements
- Attention to detail and accuracy with quantitative data and financial calculations
- Time management skills to meet deadlines on time-sensitive projects and demonstrate regular attendance and punctuality
- Customer service orientation to provide effective and efficient support to internal clients
- Skill and ability to clearly and concisely communicate verbally and in writing
- Skill in applying critical thinking, analysis and problem-solving methods
- Knowledge and skills to manage projects, organize, prioritize, and meet deadlines
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- Knowledge and ability to operate accounting software applications (e.g., Yardi)
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and maintain appropriate discretion
Physical and Environmental Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
MAA is a real estate investment trust (REIT) that focuses on the acquisition, selective development, redevelopment and management of multifamily homes throughout the Southeastern and Southwestern regions of the United States.
Our mission at MAA is to deliver superior service and value for our residents, employees and shareholders. We refer to this as creating "A Brighter View" and we are doing it every day.
In fact, we proudly display "Our Brighter View" plaques at every MAA office just to serve as a daily reminder of our focused mission. MAA is committed to remaining true to our rich tradition of service to each other, to our residents, and to our shareholders. We respect the privilege to providing value to those whose lives we touch.
Please click on the links below to learn more about MAA’s culture and corporate charity as well as view MAA’s Corporate Profile: