Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Ancillary Utility Analyst
The Ancillary Utility Analyst reports to the Business Opportunity Director and provides analytical support to Ancillary Utility programs via data trend analyses, evaluation, and customer service. Reviews inquiries, problems, and requests to determine appropriate solutions and/or responses. Creates and analyzes reports on a weekly, monthly and ad hoc basis for utility programs to help produce optimum results.
The successful candidate will embody and work to reinforce MAA’s Core Values. Those values include:
- Appreciating the uniqueness of each individual
- Communicating openly and with integrity
- Embracing opportunities
- Doing the right thing at the right time for the right reasons
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs high-level calculations, trend analysis, and quality control on all utility programs.
- Builds database queries using existing frameworks and adapting as needed; queries databases using Microsoft Excel & Access to investigate root causes of state issues.
- Conducts ad-hoc reporting in response to specific requests (i.e. sustainability analysis, energy trends, etc.); monitors and reports on utility rates, variances and usage trends as compared to utility budget.
- Analyzes issues on a daily and weekly basis to gauge their status and determine where corrections are needed; discovers opportunities within the utility programs that may require further evaluation to improve performance.
- Analyzes data trends and makes recommendations for improved efficiency and cost savings of programs and processes.
- Analyze specific usage, market data, and applicable laws to make recommendations on which billing method should be used for a given market and/or property.
- Investigates, analyzes, and solves complex, technical, and contract issues.
- Supports new and ongoing projects (e.g., bulk cable program) and energy efficiency initiatives.
- Contacts property management regularly to verify information to ensure its accuracy in reports and to properly support each of the programs and their success.
- Provides advice to supervisors and managers to resolve utility problems effectively.
- Interacts with other departments and performs special tasks to ensure utilities are managed efficiently and effectively.
- Assists with planning and implementing long-term strategic initiatives to ensure integration of current and future technologies.
- Performs other related duties as assigned to meet the needs of the business.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or related field required
- One to two (1-2) years of experience in utilities administration, utility data analysis, business analytics, or closely related experience involving billing procedures and/or account maintenance required
- Three to five years (3-5) of experience in utilities administration or utility data analysis preferred
- Working knowledge of Yardi, Essbase and Hyperion Retrieve preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of utility rate structures, billing methods, and usage patterns
- Skill in data analysis, recognizing conceptual themes while also attending to detail
- Skill in interpreting data and making recommendations
- Skill in applying critical thinking, analysis and problem-solving methods
- Skill in verbal and written communication and explaining various data inputs, elements & outcomes to non-technical audiences
- Skill in managing projects, organization, prioritization and meeting deadlines
- Skill in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access to include: Table structures, Data types, Link tables/ MS Access in a network environment, Forms, Advanced relational query design, and Macros
Physical and Environmental Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
MAA is a real estate investment trust (REIT) that focuses on the acquisition, selective development, redevelopment and management of multifamily homes throughout the Southeastern and Southwestern regions of the United States.
Our mission at MAA is to deliver superior service and value for our residents, employees and shareholders. We refer to this as creating "A Brighter View" and we are doing it every day.
In fact, we proudly display "Our Brighter View" plaques at every MAA office just to serve as a daily reminder of our focused mission. MAA is committed to remaining true to our rich tradition of service to each other, to our residents, and to our shareholders. We respect the privilege to providing value to those whose lives we touch.
Please click on the links below to learn more about MAA’s culture and corporate charity as well as view MAA’s Corporate Profile: