Local Motors, Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Lead Engineer - Test and Validation
at Local Motors, Inc.
To accelerate innovation by democratizing and decentralizing the way ideas are shared and products are manufactured. We invite the world to help us create vehicles that inspire, empower and nurture humanity.
Drive community engagement above all else. Ensure open dialogue and transparency with community members in order to facilitate innovation and empower the individual maker.
Engage and empower global communities of designers, engineers, fabricators and automotive enthusiasts to solve local problems, locally, through distributed making.
Foster open collaboration in order to drive faster, more cost-effective, more thorough product development to drive improved safety and quality.
Make transportation more sustainable globally by empowering maker profitability, defending and advancing the environment, and improving safety and well-being.
Strive to succeed in the face of failure; meet deadlines regardless of obstacles; exceed expectations in the design, development and distribution of critical tools, services and finished products.
- The Lead Engineer - Test & Validation will head the development of test and validation plans for each functional vehicle system. This position will work with vehicle development team to perform hazard analysis and risk assessment, item definition, functional safety concept, technical safety requirements, FTA, FMEA, and other safety analyses for safety requirements.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, schedule, and execute test plans for all levels of product testing.
- Analyze, document and publish all relevant test reports to support test plans and product delivery. Candidate will own the test plan and test results.
- Interface with outside test houses/vendors to perform required testing, including quoting and scheduling, in accordance with program objectives.
- Determine requirements for new test equipment and / or redesign of existing test equipment.
- Recommend, purchase and implement equipment, instruments, data acquisition, etc. required for all levels of product testing including the design of any required test fixtures and test procedures.
- Develop and implement software and/or scripts for new or existing test equipment.
Ensure all product issues are identified, logged, tracked and resolved during each testing phase.
- Assists in review of test processes as they are developed by team members.
- Provide detailed field data and internal test reports to supply feedback to engineering on needed improvements and any product failures in the field. Work with QA in warranty matters that inform issue resolution and future test plans.
- Cooperate and coordinate development with other vehicle development team members to ensure overall goals are achieved.
- Track and report project status to Chief Engineer, as well as program team.
- Provide technical support to Local Motors manufacturing facilities through plant visits, conference calls, etc.
- Perform additional projects and duties as assigned by the Chief Engineer.
- Must be able to work in a team environment as well as independently.
- Will expect the candidate to work with team members and third-party contractors or consultants in order to execute testing according to plan.
- The candidate will also follow process for safety and quality control throughout the product development life cycle.
- A pleasant demeanor, coupled with strong telephone, internet, face-to-face and written communication skills are a must. Follow up communications and strong organizational skills are essential.
- The position requires an ability to travel internationally.
- Due to the fact that some of the destinations could be remote, rugged or extreme, a candidate must maintain an appropriate level of fitness to ensure their ability to operate well and perform his/her job successfully.
- You will be requested to manage multiple projects, resources and deadlines and provide updates to the team.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical / Mechanical Engineering. Master's degree a plus.
- 5 years relevant experience in Design Verification/Process Validation testing
- Experience using Siemens NX design software in a fast paced, multi-user production environment preferred. Other software based on experience / relevance.
- Familiarity with environmental, mechanical, and electrical verification testing methodologies in an automotive environment.
- Familiarity with vehicle Controller Area Network (CAN) communication interface.
- Ability to replicate problems to determine its type/nature and communicate this to the engineering team to help resolve design issues.
- Previous experience with specification and integration of data acquisition using various test instrumentation required.
- Experience with data analysis tools / software a plus.
- Experience working with high voltage EV/HEV battery systems a plus
- Software programming experience is a plus.
- Computer skills: In addition to the requirements above, the candidate must have experience with MS Office, including intermediate to advanced knowledge of Word and Excel, Outlook, and other Office suite tools.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
The Company is committed to equal employment opportunity. We do not discriminate based on an individual’s race, religion, creed, color, sex (including gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, or sexual orientation), age, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. Our policy is to select, place, train, and promote the most qualified individuals based upon relevant factors such as work performance and quality, attitude, and experience so as to provide equal employment opportunity for all our employees in compliance with applicable local, state, and federal laws. This policy applies to all phases of the employment process including recruiting, hiring, training, promotion or demotion, discipline, transfer, layoff, and termination. It also covers any type of employment action, including those relating to salary, benefits, training, travel, and participation in sponsored business and social events.