Dollar General Corporation
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
BUYER - Cleaning
at Dollar General Corporation
- Requisition ID
Dollar General (NYSE: DG) is a Fortune 200 company with more than 15,000 retail locations in 44 states, 15 distribution centers and 130,000 employees that embody our mission of Serving Others each and every day. We work in an energetic atmosphere that embraces innovation, diversity and teamwork, all while keeping our customers and communities at the center of everything we do! At Dollar General, employees have numerous growth and development career opportunities through award-winning training and being part of one of America’s fastest-growing retailers. Apply today and let’s grow together!
Job Title: Buyer
Department: Merchandising, Cleaning
Reports to: Sr. Buyer
Serve the customer in all aspects of merchandise selection; analyze and maintain the value of all items sold in our stores. Assist in the flow process and presentation of merchandise to our customers. Facilitate the internal and external partnerships that allow Dollar General to serve others by being a customer driven distributor of consumable and non-consumable basics. More limited SKU, vendor, and supply chain breadth than Senior Buyer position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Analyze and re-forecast departmental budget to ensure financial reward for our shareholders, i.e. sales, mark-up, inventory, turn.
2) Plan, evaluate and provide monthly projections for core items to maintain our 95% in-stock goal.
3) Assist all teamshare partners in matters that are directly or indirectly involved with merchandising, i.e. accounting, reorder, retail, distribution, import, logistics and vendors.
4) Maintain accurate vendor and item information to best control procurement and logistical flow of merchandise until it reaches our customer. Research and negotiate vendor base to identify the best value for our customer. Penetrate new market share while maximizing shareholders reward. Evaluate, select, design, and develop merchandise for both core and non-core distribution and presentation in store.
5) Supervising, training and developing our team partners to support total development.
6) Develop line review and generate plan-o-grams for department and communicate these for proper presentation to our customer.
7) Make necessary vendor, market, and store visits.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of assortment/item negotiations, promotional growth, markdown and assortment funding.
- Ability to develop assortment plans and execute tactics against a strategic plan.
- Advanced analytical and financial skills (e.g. ability to read a profit & loss statement).
- Ability to manage strategic assortments across limited category disciplines.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively through verbal, written and listening skills so that Merchandising’s mission of customer satisfaction is achieved.
- Demonstrated planning and executing of annual budget to ensure positive shareholder risk.
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player and customer service driven, while maintaining the values of Dollar General.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively monitor and develop team partners to ensure a partnership in total development.
- Thorough knowledge of specific categories, including market trends, item cost, competitive issues and logistical issues to help facilitate customer satisfaction.
- Ability to demonstrate moral integrity and professionalism while negotiating issues to help facilitate customer satisfaction.
- Ability to make decisions in a rapidly changing environment while maintaining an enthusiastic sense of mission.
- Travel may be required.
Work Experience and/or Education:
3 to 5 years of merchandising experience required, preferably as a Replenishment Buyer, Assistant Buyer, or Planning Manager. College degree strongly preferred.